When the hot weather comes around nothing is more refreshing that a cold glass of Iced Tea. I prefer a caffeine free tea, and herbal teas are interesting even without additional sweetener. My personal favorite is Blueberry Iced Tea, but there are lots of different options. Try Red Zinger, Country Peach or even a simple Peppermint. Celestial Seasonings is an easy to find brand and offers many different herbal tea flavors. It couldn’t be more simple to make either. Keep a pitcher of it on hand all summer and you will always be prepared to wow your guests!
1. Choose your pitcher – I use a 1 gallon sized Rubbermaid pitcher.
2. Select 4 tea bags per Quart of water (1 Gallon has 4 quarts = 12 tea bags). Depending on my mood, I will either do all herbal tea for a strong flavor, or for a milder flavor, split 1/2 of the tea bags with plain decaf black tea bags.
3. Add the tea bags, tags removed, to approximately half of the water needed and bring to boil on the stove.* Cover and remove from heat. Steep for 20-30 minutes; the longer you steep the stronger the tea.
4. Carefully remove the tea bags. If you would like to add sweetener (sugar, stevia, or honey are good choices) stir it in now with a wooden spoon while the tea is still hot. Sweeten per your own taste.
5. Add tea to an ice filled pitcher and top off with cold water. Put in the fridge and chill until ready to drink. Serve over ice with a sprig of fresh mint and enjoy!
*If you prefer, you can make sun tea or cold steeped herbal tea instead. Add the tea bags to room temperature water directly in the pitcher you plan to use. Let the tea steep in the sun for about 4 hours or on in the fridge overnight. Remove the bags, sweeten and serve over ice.